Copyright protection does not depend on official procedures.
Copyrights in Brazil are protected by a modern law enacted in 1998.
The country is member of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, Washington Copyrights Convention, and Copyright Universal Convention.
A created work is considered protected as soon as it exists. However, like in most jurisdictions, registration serves as prima facie evidence in a court of law with reference to disputes relating to copyrights.
Our law firm is specialized in copyright protection law in Brazil.
Hugo Silva & Maldonado handles:
- Preparation of applications for software registration
- Preparation of applications for registration of literary and artistic works with the related Copyright Offices, according to the nature of the work
- Payment of maintenance and/or renewal fees
- Copyright ownership evaluation, and database protection
- Counseling, licensing and litigation